Thursday, March 31, 2011

~*VERTICAL GARDENS*~ by Patrick Blanc


Hello All.

I haven't been posting as frequently in the past few weeks
and for the I apologize.

I just had waaaay too much craziness going on!

As they say; when it rains, it pours.

My nephew was very sick and ended up in the hospital for a little over a week.
Then I got sick with the flu which was temporarily debilitating.
AND to end on a more positive note, I got a new job!

So starting this coming monday I will be teaching Art to kids aged 2-15! Yay :)


Now back to what I have recently been inspired by and that is the

VERTICAL GARDENS

I recently came across by

PATRICK BLANC

So the building that sparked my interest was the Qua Branly Museum in Paris (below).

I thought:
How did I not see this when I was in Paris???

France's Blanch creates living walls that are vertical arrangement of plants and other organisms that naturally removes toxins and unhealthy contaminants from the air that we breathe. Living walls can be complete ecosystems or simpler configurations of plants that thrive in and help to decontaminate urban environments.
Not only does the vegetation improve the appearance of the wall, it also improves air quality and energy consumption.(karimcintoshdesign)


QUAI BRANLY MUSEUM
Paris

Completed in 2005

Architect: Jean Nouvelle

"On a load-bearing wall or structure is placed a metal frame that supports a PVC plate 10 millimetres (0.39 in) thick, on which are stapled two layers of polyamide felt each 3 millimetres (0.12 in) thick. These layers mimic cliff-growing mossesand are support the roots of many plants. A network of pipes controlled by valves provides a nutrient solution containing dissolved minerals needed for plant growth. The felt is soaked by capillary action with this nutrient solution, which flows down the wall by gravity. The roots of the plants take up the nutrients they need, and excess water is collected at the bottom of the wall by a gutter before being re-injected into the network of pipes: the system works in a closed circuit. Plants are chosen for their ability to grow on this type of environment and depending on available light." -wikipedia


ATHENAEUM HOTEL
London

Completed in 2009


This is such an amazing idea.


CAIXA FORUM
Madrid

Completed in 2007

Architect: Herzog & de Meuron


PONT MAX JUVENAL
Aix en Provence

Completed in 2008



I'm always all for anything that brings some nature and whimsy into the city.
And on top of the fact that its functional, in that it helps to create better air quality within the city, it is also aesthetically very pleasing!



LE BLANC MESNIL - FORUM CULTUREL
Paris

Completed in 1999


PACHA, THE DRIVER
London

Completed in 2009



LES QUATRE TEMPS, PORTE DE PARIS, LE DEFENCE
Paris

I love the dimension in this wall.
It's as though Blanc took an exotic field and placed it vertically on the wall.

Completed in 2006


DOLCE VITA
Lisbon

Architect RTKL

There is an amazing sculptural and clean quality to this large installation.

Completed in 2009


CREDIT DU NORD, HEAD OFFICE
Paris

Architect: Dominique Marrec

Sooooo pretty.

Completed in 2010


PRIVATE HOUSE
Seoul

Blanc's Vertical Gardens really are popping up all over the world!

Completed in 2002



PRIVATE HOUSE
Brussels

 Architect: Philippe Samyn

Completed in 2005




I think that I would like to take a course to learn all about
succulent plants


THEN
I am going to try and create my own smaller version of a Vertical Garden!

I'll let you know how that goes ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis